Working for Wigan and Leigh mental health services
We employ over 750 people who make sure that essential mental health services are provided to over 320,000 residents in the Wigan Borough. Our people are passionate, positive, and committed to providing care and treatment to support people to live well.
Wigan is a vibrant, exciting borough. Within easy reach of Manchester and Liverpool, it’s a great place to live, work and visit.
We are proud to deliver mental health services to the communities in Wigan and Leigh and also at Atherleigh Park Hospital, a five-ward mental health hospital in Leigh, that has set a new standard for mental healthcare excellence in the UK.
If you are newly qualified, or have years of experience, we will have an opportunity to suit you. We have vacancies across all disciplines – from nurses to psychologists, health care workers to consultants.
We are also recruiting peer support, expert by experience and volunteers who bring their own expertise to the workforce.
These vacancies are in our community hub and urgent care hub across Wigan and Leigh as well as our inpatient hospital – Atherleigh Park, which is a state of the art, purpose-built facility aimed to offer the best therapeutic environments for anyone who needs mental health hospital care.
We are seeking staff that are compassionate, with a desire to improve patients recovery journey. If you’re enthusiastic and motivated with a keen interest in learning more about our clinical models, then we’d love you to apply for one of our vacancies available across the borough.
- Largest mental health provider in Greater Manchester with focus on delivering excellent mental health care.
- Support for flexible and less than full-time working as well as working from home options.
- Opportunities to pursue a special interest.
- As part of our ‘digital first’ approach, it’s important to us that our staff are digitally enabled.
- The Trust is highly active in research and innovation and has links with a number of local universities.
- Clear framework for interested colleagues to develop management and leadership skills and take up positions in leadership and management.
- Access to in-house training including a Recovery Academy.
- All our employees receive a range of benefits, from access to training and development opportunities to salary sacrifice schemes, like the Car Lease and Cycle to Work schemes, and excellent discounts on high street and online shopping.
- Structured and supported approach to appraisal and revalidation.
- Agreed process for career breaks.
- Relocation package for consultant posts.
Whether you are newly qualified, returning to practice or part of the NHS/healthcare workforce and looking to relocate, we’d love you to join us!
“I love working in Wigan because it's my town, so it means a lot. I enjoy the challenges and I'm always trying to do my best to help the people in hospital and the community. I enjoy working in a talented and dynamic service.”
Hi I am Karen Hodgetts, Associate Director of Quality and Health Professionals in the Wigan, Bolton, Addictions Services Care Group. I have worked in GMMH for 22 years across community, VCSE, urgent c...
Dr Kishen Neelam, based at Barnett House in Bolton, is an Associate Medical Director and Consultant Psychiatrist at GMMH. He has been praised for his approach to leading GMMH’s mental h...