Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
Motivational Interviewing (MI) is a communication style that strengthens people's own motivation and commitment to change by using collaborative conversation to explore their reasons for change. MI utilises key styles and processes to help clients resolve ambivalence, increase motivation for change, strengthen commitment, and take behaviour change forward. The course will introduce participants to the principles and underlying spirit of MI and offer the opportunity to practice some of the basic skills.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to
- explain the Motivational Interviewing model
- give examples of the positive and negative factors that can influence motivation
- describe the principles and spirit of MI
- outline the key skills of MI – OARS
- recognise “Change Talk"
- demonstrate basic MI skills
Who is this course for?
The course is designed for anybody working in a health and social care setting who may be working with clients using therapeutic or psychosocial approaches.
|Venue||Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Bury New Road, Prestwich M25 3BL|