Wigan CAMHS Mental Health Support Team
The Wigan CAMHS Mental Health Support Team (MHST) works alongside select schools in Wigan to provide 3 core functions:
- to deliver evidence-based interventions for mild-to-moderate mental health issues
- support the senior mental health lead (where established) in each school or college to introduce or develop their whole school or college approach
- give timely advice to school and college staff, and liaise with external specialist services to help children and young people to get the right support and stay in education
What evidence-based interventions do we offer?
Our team of low-intensity practitioners consist of EMHPs (Education Mental Health Practitioners) and CYWPs (Children and young People’s Well-being Practitioners), some of whom are currently training. Each low-intensity practitioner is able to provide interventions focussing on:
- Worry (Generalised Anxiety)
- Specific Phobias
- Low mood
- Sleep Problems
- Parenting for anxiety (under 12s)
- Parenting for behaviour (under 9s)
Each brief intervention consists of roughly 6-8 sessions, lasting 45 minutes to 1 hour.
What does the MHST not cover?
The MHST is not an emergency service. If you have an immediate concern for the safety or well-being of a child at your school, please follow appropriate crisis pathways.
The service does not provide evidence-based interventions for children who are at a very high risk or those who present with some complex mental health disorders. We are happy to discuss these cases with you and provide you with advice.
How do I refer a child or young person for evidence-based intervention?
If you are a MHST school and you would like to refer a child for brief intervention, please use the following process:
- Request consent from the young person and their parent for the referral to be made
- Complete an RCADS questionnaire with the young person and parent
- Complete a referral and consent form by downloading here: Wigan MHST Referral Form
- Send the completed form to email@example.com
What happens after I refer a child for evidence-based intervention?
- Once you have submitted a referral, the following process will occur:
- You will be contacted by a MHST practitioner for a ‘School Consultation’ (we aim to complete this within 14 days)
- We will then contact the parent to complete a ‘Parent Consultation’
- If, at this point, the MHST decide that the child may be suitable for brief intervention, we will organise an initial assessment with the child.
- If, after the assessment, we decide that the child is suitable for brief intervention, we will schedule 6-8 sessions. These can be delivered in school, over MS Teams, or at Wigan CAMHS.
(If we decide that our interventions would not be suitable, we will give advice or offer signposting to an alternative service)