Think Wellbeing offers free NHS therapy for people registered with a Wigan GP with common mental health problems like anxiety or depression, to help you change the way you feel by changing the way you think.
Our service is for adults age 16 and over with common mental health problems like mild to moderate depression, anxiety and stress. We can help with other problems like panic attacks, phobias and post-traumatic stress disorder.
We are also able to help if you're experiencing symptoms of low mood, anxiety or depression linked to a long term physical health condition, pregnancy or being a primary carer for an infant under the age of two. You must be registered with a Wigan GP to access our service.
How do I know if the service is for me?
If you've been feeling down, stressed, anxious or panicky, we can help.
Some other common reasons for using our service include:
- Not wanting to do things you used to enjoy, like hobbies or seeing friends
- Feeling down or hopeless about the future
- Having trouble sleeping or sleeping more than usual
- Feeling tired or having little energy
- Not being able to stop worrying
- Feeling restless and agitated
- Feeling afraid all the time, like something bad is going to happen
- Living with a long term health condition that is affecting your mood.
- Struggling with feelings of anxiety, low mood or depression related to being pregnant or caring for an infant under the age of two years old.
If any of these sound familiar, why not refer yourself to our service today by completing our quick online self-referral form?
With our easy-to-access, flexible therapy options to suit your lifestyle, you’ll have a choice of either:
Option 1 - online therapy through our SilverCloud system
- Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Can be done at a time and place that suits you
- You can start the therapy straight away
- You will get weekly online support from your therapist
- You will have access to the system for a year after you’ve been discharged from the service
- It has been shown to be more effective than one-to-one therapy
Option 2 - Skills for Wellbeing course
- A six-week course that will help you develop skills to manage your mood
- The sessions are informal and relaxed, and you don’t have to talk about your problems if you don’t want to
- Courses are available in your local area
- You will have a choice of times you can attend
- A new course begins every three weeks so you’ll never have to wait more than a few weeks to join.
- When you have your first assessment appointment with a member of our team, you will have plenty of time to talk through the two options in more detail to help you decide which one is right for you.
Most people find that online therapy or a wellbeing course is all they need to feel better, but if you still need extra help after completing these, we will then offer you face-to-face, one-to-one therapy with one of our specialist therapists.
How to access our service
Accessing our service is simple. You can refer yourself to our service today using the 'self-refer to our service' button on this page and filling in our simple online referral form. Alternatively, you can visit your GP who will be able to make a referral to our service on your behalf.
You can also call our services directly to book an appointment by calling 01942 264 051.
What will happen at your first appointment?
Once you have submitted your online referral, a member of our team will send you an appointment to attend an initial assessment, where one of our therapists will talk through your symptoms with you to help you decide which treatment option is best for you.
It's great to hear how our service has supported people. Here is what other people who have used our service said about their experience:
- "I'm in a better place and understand me and my world more, and I see things differently. Thank you for everything you have done to change my life for the better."
- "The understanding and support I've had has been excellent. When I hit my rock bottom the therapist was able to help me question my thoughts and feeling and I became more aware of my behaviours and impact on myself and other. This has been an empowering experience as I felt weak as a person in asking for help but now feel stronger to move forward. Thank you for everything."
- "Absolutely fantastic would recommend it to anyone. Staff are extremely patient and answer your questions."
- "Very professional, helpful, friendly an welcoming. Made me feel at ease."
- "It really gave me what I was looking for. Gave me tools to deal with problems. Plus it gave me confidence"
- "The therapy resources have been really helpful, the therapist was easy to relate to and I found her down to earth and not patronising. I felt comfortable in sessions and got the help that I needed. Thank you."