The aim of the Service is to provide rapid access for patients from acute hospitals across all general hospitals in Greater Manchester presenting with alcohol dependence or acute alcohol withdrawals who would otherwise require admission to an acute hospital bed. Admission will be to a specialist inpatient alcohol detoxification unit with 24-hour medical cover and multidisciplinary team support, as described below. The service will reduce the burden on the acute hospital sector by reducing length of stay, successfully completing detoxification, reducing the rates of relapse and admission, and to do this in a timely and effective manner in order to promote recovery.
The objectives of the service are:
- To provide safe, evidence based, effective alcohol detoxification.
- To complete detoxification in 5-7 days.
- To provide rapid access to admissions 24 hours per day, 365 days a year.
- To provide effective psychological interventions, such as cognitive behavioural therapy and relapse prevention therapy.
- To facilitate, support and maximise the opportunities for abstinence from alcohol.
- To improve overall personal, social and family functioning.
As a service user, relative or carer using our services, sometimes you may need to turn to someone for help, advice, and support.
Find resources for carers and service users Contact the Trust