Level 2: Becoming a Family Focussed Peer Navigator (Mental Health and Substance Misuse)
The Level 2 Becoming a Family Focussed Peer Navigator (Mental Health & Substance Misuse) is a programme of learning that has been quality endorsed by Open Awards. This course aims to equip participants with the knowledge and skills to volunteer within services as a Family Focused Peer Supporter. Participants will learn the knowledge and skills relating to supporting families/carers affected by a significant other's problematic substance use and/or mental health. Participants will gain an understanding of the role of Family Focused Peer Support, the issues and importance of maintaining professional boundaries, key policies and protocols relating to families and carers, the nature of problematic substance use, common mental health problems, recovery and how to empower and support people to develop and progress to wider support networks. This six-day unit will offer participants the chance to receive 5 Level 2 credits from Open Awards for successful completion.
- Understand the role of a Family-focused Peer Support Worker, and the importance of professional boundaries.
- Understand the importance of policies and protocols.
- Understand the nature of common mental ill health, dependence, addiction and recovery.
- Become familiar with Motivational Interviewing skills and their application as a psychosocial intervention.
- Be able to use Node Link mapping.
- Understand common impacts of mental ill health and substance use on family members, and key issues in working with families.
- Understand the use of group facilitation skills.
- Know how to empower individuals on to wider support networks.
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for anybody wanting to become a Family Focused Peer Supporter in Substance Misuse Services or Mental Health Services.
Participants will be expected to submit a good standard of written work and have good IT skills (word processing, powerpoint and searching the internet).
|Duration||6 full days|
|Venue||Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Bury New Road, Prestwich M25 3BL|
As a service user, relative or carer using our services, sometimes you may need to turn to someone for help, advice, and support.
Find resources for carers and service users Contact the Trust