If client is already known to mental health services and receiving their care
In hours (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- You can contact either the Care Co ordinator if known or request to speak with the duty worker via the CMHT please see table above.
Out of hours
- If outside normal working hours the client can contact the GMMH NHS Foundation Trust Helpline on 0800 953 0285 who will ensure their contact and concerns are reported to the relevant CMHT. The information will be passed to the CMHT the very next working day. They can also provide telephone support and advice during the crisis time. The Helpline provide a service 24/7, 7 days per week, 365 days of the year to people and their carers who are in mental health crisis, feel distressed or unsafe or worried about their mental health. They can also advise the client the next course of action to take.
- Advise the client to attend their local Emergency Department where they can be seen by the MHLT.
Alternatives if the client cannot wait for this assessment
Arrange for your client to attend the Emergency Department. If you feel the client can attend themselves with support this should be considered. If the risk to the client is more imminent call 999 and arrange an ambulance escort to the local ED department. You can also do this if they need help for physical injuries such as self-harm, injury or overdose.
The client will be referred to the Mental Health Liaison Team (MHLT) who will aim to assess within 1 hour.
The team can be contacted on 0161 206 4847.
Outcomes you can expect:
- Referral directly into local HBTT for a period of treatment.
- Referral for a Mental Health Act assessment
- Referral for an in-patient bed if indicated
- Signposting and discharged back to primary care with an advised safety plan which is also given to the client.
- Referral to the relevant CMHT.
- A detailed discharge letter incorporating their advice and plan of care.
If you identify your client requires an assessment under the Mental Health Act we would advise urgent referral to the CMHT in the first instance where possible. However, if deemed more urgent you can liaise with our GMMH Approved Mental Health Practitioner (AMHP) Hub. In hours, the AMHP can be contacted on 0161 358 0653 / 357 1280. Out of hours and at weekends Salford EDT can be contacted via 0161 794 8888.
In the near future we will be offering a urgent listening lounge in Salford, more details will follow in due course.