Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Which programme should I do - PG Diploma or Foundation?

A: The decision regarding whether to apply for our PG Diploma or Foundation programmes would be very much linked to your current knowledge and practice experience of CBT.  If you have used CBT with a few clients, under specialist CBT supervision, maybe attended some workshops/read some CBT texts to inform your practice, you may be eligible for the PG Diploma.  If you haven’t used specific CBT models under supervision, you should probably choose the Foundation.


Q:  Is there a difference in course content between the PG Diploma in CBT IAPT pathway and the self-funded Cognitive Therapy (CT) pathway?

A: The route in is very different; you would need to apply for a High Intensity training post to access our IAPT route (although we would consider allowing someone to self-fund the IAPT route should they be able to assure us that their clinical job would provide equivalent experience) whereas the CT Pathway can be accessed by anyone able to see appropriate clients.

The two pathways overlap to a great extent.  They differ in quantity, in that the IAPT pathway is two days per week for most of the academic year, and requires more teaching hours to meet fully the BABCP accreditation criteria. The IAPT pathway also has some different content to fulfil the demands of the IAPT national curriculum for High Intensity workers (some of which is specific to IAPT services, with some more general elements like Behaviour Therapy for specific phobias).  The CT pathway has an independent study unit (an extended essay) instead of these additional extra taught elements.


Q:  What if I do not have a degree?

A: You do not have to have a degree.  Non-graduates are asked to submit a short essay prior to the course to demonstrate that they can work at the required academic level.


Q:  What if I have been on a career break and my registration is not up to date?

A: If you are not registered with your professional body you would be considered for eligibility via the Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes (KSA) framework.  Full details of what would be required would be provided if you applied.  For an example of what may be required, please see the BABCP website: Knowledge Skills and Attitudes (


Q: What if a core profession is required and I do not have one? 

A: Applicants without one of the recognised core professions Core Professions ( would be considered for eligibility via the Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes (KSA) framework.  Full details of what would be required would be provided if you applied.  For an example of what may be required, please see the BABCP website: Knowledge Skills and Attitudes (


Q: Can you help with arranging a placement to see clients?

A: Unfortunately, we are not able to arrange placements to meet the clinical requirements, although the programme does provide intensive supervision, which might help reassure a service should you approach them for some volunteer work (they would need to provide clinical governance arrangements and appropriate general supervision).


Q:  Do you know of any IAPT or CBT posts coming up?

A: You would have to check the NHS jobs website.


Q:  Is the content of the Foundation programme repeated on the PG Diploma?

A: The Foundation is much shorter and more introductory.  There would be material in common with the two programmes, but the structure is very different, as is the breadth and depth to which topics are explored.


Q:  Do I have to have access to clients to apply for the Foundation programme?

A: The Foundation has recently been redesigned so that students don’t have to find suitable clients to work with on the course. This redesign will allow greater access for health and social care workers who would have difficulties accessing appropriate clients with which to train (i.e. clients with mild to moderate mental health problems). Students will now be assessed and supervised via clinical role-plays.


Q: Will I get an NUS Card?

A: Unfortunately, you would not be a registered student with the University of Manchester (even if the programme is validated by them). You would be registered with Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Psychological Therapies Training Centre and this means you do not have access to an NUS card.


Q: Would I be eligible to apply for tax relief under the Widening Access Scheme?

A: Unfortunately, students on programmes here at Greater Manchester Mental Health Psychological Therapies Training Centre are technically ineligible to apply for tax relief under the Widening Access Scheme as we are considered to be an ‘in-house’ training provider (as an NHS provider).


Q : What is the North West Collaborative?

A: The Northwest CYP IAPT Collaborative is a partnership between The University of Manchester, Greater Manchester Mental Health Foundation Trust and over 70 providers and commissioning bodies of children and young people’s mental health services across NHS, Local Authority and Voluntary sectors working in the Northwest, Yorkshire and West Midlands.

It’s one of five Learning Collaboratives across England that are part of the CYP IAPT country-wide transformation programme. The collaborative seeks to improve services through better evidence based practice, better collaborative practice, authentic participation and better use of feedback and clinical outcomes across all services.


Q: Can I continue to do my current job whilst doing one of the training programmes?

A: The majority of the training programmes (with the exception of 3) you would continue in your current position whilst doing the training.

The three programmes where this is not the case are PG Diploma in CBT – CBT IAPT pathway, CYP Education Mental Health Practitioner and the CYP Wellbeing Practitioner.  These are all full time, recruit to train posts.


Q: What about the funding?

A: The majority of the training programmes are part of nationally funded projects with the exception of the PG Diploma in CBT – Cognitive Therapy pathway, the Foundation in CBT and the Masters Level Clinical Training in Systemic Psychotherapy which are all self-funded.