Carers Assessments

Many carers find it easier to continue in their caring role if they can get some support. Local councils can provide care and support for people who require care and their carers. The way they make a decision about the support that they can provide is by carrying out a Carer’s Assessment.

Any carer who appears to have needs for support can have an assessment by the local council. As a carer you will be entitled to an assessment regardless of the amount or type of care you provide, your financial means or your level of need for support. You can have an assessment whether or not the person you care for has had a needs assessment, or if the local council have decided they are not eligible for support.

In preparation for your assessment, it is useful to give yourself some time to think about how caring affects you. It’s also important to start thinking about any help that would make a difference to you as a carer. This will help when you discuss things that the local council have to consider when doing a carer’s assessment.

How to access a Carer’s Assessment

The area in which the person you are caring for resides will dictate the team/service that will conduct your Carer’s Assessment.  GMMH staff should discuss this with you when you are identified as somebody in a caring role.  Feel free to discuss accessing your assessment with the team looking after the person you support.

If you live in a different local authority to where the person you care for receives their care (outside of the GMMH footprint) it will be your local authority who would complete the assessment with you.  You can phone them to ask for your assessment or write to them.  Click HERE  for a letter template to send to your local authority.

As a patient

As a service user, relative or carer using our services, sometimes you may need to turn to someone for help, advice, and support. 

Find resources for carers and service users  Contact the Trust