Bolton CAMHS Mental Health Support Team
The Bolton CAMHS Mental Health Support Team (MHST) works alongside select schools in Bolton to provide 3 core functions:
- to deliver evidence-based interventions for mild-to-moderate mental health difficulties
- support the senior mental health lead (where established) in each school or college to introduce or develop their whole school or college approach
- give timely advice to school and college staff, and liaise with external specialist services to help children and young people to get the right support and stay in education
What evidence-based interventions do we offer?
Our team of low-intensity practitioners consist of EMHPs (Education Mental Health Practitioners) and CYWPs (Children and Young People’s Wellbeing Practitioners), some of whom are currently training. Each low-intensity practitioner is able to provide interventions focussing on:
- Worry (Generalised Anxiety)
- Specific Phobias
- Low mood
- Sleep Problems
- Parenting for anxiety (under 12s)
- Parenting for behaviour (under 9s)
Each brief intervention consists of roughly 6-8 sessions, lasting 45 minutes to 1 hour.
What does the MHST not cover?
The MHST is not an emergency service. If you have an immediate concern for the safety or well-being of a child at your school, please follow appropriate crisis pathways.
The service does not provide evidence-based interventions for children who are at a very high risk or those who present with some complex mental health disorders. We are happy to discuss these cases with you and provide you with advice.
How do I refer a child or young person for evidence-based intervention?
If you are a MHST school and you would like to refer a child for brief intervention, please use the following process:
- Request consent from the young person and their parent for the referral to be made
- Complete an RCADS questionnaire with the young person and parent
- Complete the referral form and consent form which can be downloaded from here: Bolton-MHST-Referral-Form.docx [docx] 63KB
Send the completed form to BoltonMHST@gmmh.nhs.uk
*Please speak to the senior mental health lead in your school if you would like to make a referral. All referrals to MHST should be made by school.
What happens after I refer a child for evidence-based intervention?
- Once a referral has been submitted by school, the following process will occur:
- A MHST practitioner will complete a ‘School Consultation’
- We will then contact the child or young person’s parent or guardian to complete a ‘Parent Consultation’
- If, at this point, the MHST decide that the child may be suitable for brief intervention, we will organise an initial assessment with the child.
- If, after the assessment, we decide that the child is suitable for brief intervention, we will schedule 6-8 sessions. These can be delivered in school, over MS Teams, or at Bolton CAMHS.
(If we decide that our interventions would not be suitable, we will give advice or offer signposting to an alternative service)