Carrying Out Research

Gaining Trust Confirmation of Capacity and Capability for Research at GMMH

Under the Health Research Authority (HRA) arrangements, all research being carried out in the NHS in England must have HRA Approval, REC Approval if required, and Trust confirmation of Capacity and Capability for a study.

To find out more about the process of gaining confirmation of capacity and capability at Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, please contact the Research Support Coordinator by using the details on the Contact Us page.

Is My Project Research?

To find out whether your project is classed as research, visit the NHS Health Research Authority Toolkit

For any study that is eligible or applying for network support, whether commercially or non-commercially sponsored, the Clinical Research Network Study Support Service can offer a range of services across the research pathway.  Advisors can help in study feasibility, regulatory approvals, assistance with site identification, costings, set up and delivery to time and target.

To find out more, visit and watch a video explaining more about the new service

For further information or guidance, please email,



Legislation and Guidance