Introduction to Relaxation Skills
The goal of all relaxation techniques is to slow down your breathing, lower your blood pressure and create a feeling of calm and wellbeing.
Relaxation techniques taught in this course differ from mindfulness techniques taught in our mindfulness course. This course includes a number of practices that have a direct effect on the central nervous system to relax your muscles and encourage deep breathing. It includes guided imagery, which is a stress management technique, where you use your imagination to picture something that makes you feel relaxed and peaceful.
This introductory session is aimed at developing an understanding of relaxation and its benefits. Attendees will also experience a variety of relaxation techniques.
By the end of the session, you will:
- Have an understanding of what relaxation is
- Understand the benefits of relaxation techniques
- Understand and experience what “deep breathing” is
- Experience and practice a variety of relaxation techniques
- Identify which techniques work for you and/or which techniques may best work for others and how to adapt them to everyday life.
Lead tutor: Amanda Hurst
I enjoyed the…“relaxation exercises as they were very useful and effective”.
Dates, Times and Venues
6 December 2019 – 1.30pm to 4.30pm
Room 3, The Curve, Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Bury New Road, Prestwich, Manchester M25 3BL
26 February 2020 – 1.30pm to 4.30pm
Room 4, The Curve, Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Bury New Road, Prestwich, Manchester M25 3BL