Facilitating Self-Help Groups
People often find it helpful to come together to share their experiences and get support in a group setting. The aim of this course is to help you run effective groups. The main emphasis is on developing and practising group work skills that are applicable across a wide range of types of group work.
For people, who may go on to run mental health support groups, there is a third day focusing on group work content. This day has been developed by one of our tutors with lived experience of mental health difficulties and has run support groups in the community for a number of years. The content is influenced by the tutor’s own experiences of what helped him in his own recovery, which he shares to help others.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Be able to share ideas for preparing and running groups
- Know the importance of establishing and maintaining group rules
- Consider different group dynamics and ways of encouraging equal participation
- Know a range of facilitator styles and when to use different styles in different situations
- Feel confident about running your own group
- Be able to reflect on group progress and plan for people moving on.
If you opt to stay for the third day, you will:
- Be familiar with the six principles of recovery in mental health
- Be familiar with the outline of ten group work sessions for people experiencing mental health difficulties
- Understand the importance of developing group members’ confidence by giving them some responsibility within the group
- Understand the importance of setting milestones with group members
“Really well structured course and very well led. I learned far more than I expected - techniques, skills, and content.”
Lead tutors: Stephen Maloney and Mike Wilson
Dates, Times and Venues
5, 6 & 7 June 2019 - 10am to 4pm
Redbank House, 4 St. Chad’s Street, Manchester M8 8QA
19, 20 & 21 August 2019 - 10am to 4pm
Room 2 and Room 3, The Curve, Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Bury New Road, Prestwich, Manchester M25 3BL