An Introduction to Motivational Interviewing Skills
Motivational Interviewing (MI) is a type of talking therapy that strengthens people’s own motivation and commitment to change by using collaborative conversation to explore people’s own reasons for change.
The rationale for this approach is that people are more likely to change if they have been encouraged to make their own decisions to do this.
This two-day introductory course will introduce you to the principles and underlying spirit of MI.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Understand the basic principles of MI
- Become familiar with the fundamental spirit of MI
- Know about the effectiveness of MI
- Directly experience an MI approach and contrast it with other approaches
- Know the practical guidelines for using MI
- Gain direct experience and initial practice of MI
- Learn the processes used within MI sessions.
Lead tutors: Stephen Maloney, Fiona McDonald and Ben Metcalfe
“The group work allowed for practical learning and provided me with a great foundation moving forward.”
Dates, Times and Venues
18 & 19 June 2019 - 10am to 4pm
J2 Training Room, 2nd Floor, Royal Bolton Hospital, Minerva Road, Farnworth, Bolton BL4 0JR
16 & 17 July 2019 - 10am to 4pm
blueSCI, Broomwood Wellbeing Centre, Mainwood Road, Timperley, Altrincham, Cheshire WA15 7JU
5 & 6 September 2019 - 10am to 4pm
Room 3, The Curve, Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Bury New Road, Prestwich, Manchester M25 3BL